Old Dog, New Study Tricks?


Like many other students bridging the gap from high school to college, I believed that I knew how to study. Oh my, was I mistaken. I still remember the long nights studying for biology and writing chemistry papers during my freshman year. I would have to take short naps after softball practice each night just so that I would have the energy to stay awake and finish my homework. As the years went by, the course work got more manageable. That was probably due to the fact that I finally figured out how to study and manage my time. Plus, I learned that if I didn't finish looking over a particular lecture or finish a homework assignment that wasn't due for another week the same day that it was assigned or given, it was okay. I've learned that a lot of things are okay. Some days aren't meant for productivity no matter how hard we try to conquer our to-do lists.

Foolishly enough, I believed that I knew how to study when I got to medical school. I mean, yes, I did catch on to the flow of the material and other aspects much better than some of my peers. However, I still struggled. For instance, I learn by writing things out. So all of last semester, I would spend about two to three hours per lecture, writing out either the objectives or all of the material. When you have at least 30-50 lectures per exam, that is not feasible AT ALL. And trust me, I tried so hard to make it work.

I finally gave in to the whole Apple Pencil craze and started writing handwritten notes in class on the Powerpoints on my IPad this semester. So far, that has helped me learn the material and go over lectures much faster. I can write review or overview notes that encompass three or more lectures on a similar topic. That way I am still writing things down in order to learn them, but they aren't taking as long. I also started using Anki, this wonderful flashcard software. One of my friends - I will call him G on here - has used Anki from the beginning and loves it. However, he makes all of his flashcards for every lecture and exam. For some reason, making flashcards has always seemed like a waste of time to me and manages to make me angry and frustrated. Because of that, I receive flashcard decks from my classmates and downloaded some board review decks online. They are wonderful. I can quiz myself and learn new topics without having to spend hours making the cards. It saves me time and my sanity. Both of those things are rare in medical school.

I have completely rambled throughout this entire post, but my main purpose is to encourage you to be flexible. Yes, you might like the way that you study, but there might be a better or more efficient way to study. Be flexible. Try new things and see what works. Also, do not let someone else shame you or make you feel like your study strategies are inadequate. I remember talking with a classmate about how he scheduled every hour of his day for specific activities. I would love to be able to do that, but that kind of scheduling only stresses me out more, especially if I go over time on an assignment. Only you know what works and what doesn't work for you. Your way of studying will probably be unique to you, and that's perfectly fine.

Don't be afraid to try new things and new ways of studying. You can always perfect something in your learning routine. However, just because someone else studies a certain way doesn't mean that you have to follow their example. Be yourself. Study the way that you like. You got this.

Have a wonderful day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fruit Fly Debacle

Be Still

Broken Windshields