Broken Windshields

John Shedd once said, "a ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." This quote can be changed to refer to cars, people, and so many other aspects. You don't buy a boat to just have it sit in port. You buy a boat to go fishing, go skiing, or to just move from one place on the water to the other. The boat's purpose is to move along the top of the water, not to sit still.

We too as humans were made to move. We are to keep moving forward. My college had the motto: Forward Ever, and it rings true even though I have graduated. Throughout the craziness of life's ups and downs, we keep marching forward into the future. When a certain situation doesn't go our way, we move forward. When we don't get the job, college, graduate school (and others) that we wanted so badly, we move on. We keep moving forward. We brave the open seas of life because that is what we are made to do.

About a week ago I got a crack in my windshield, the same windshield that I have had on my car throughout high school, college, and now into medical school. Since the whole windshield will have to be replaced, I've been thinking back about all of the things that my car has brought me to and through. I went to dozens of job interviews, looking for my first job at fifteen. I traveled to and from high school and then to college. And now, that same car takes me to and from my research position and will take me to my second year of medical school in two weeks.

That broken windshield got me thinking about a lot. How many times have we been on our way to our dream - whether it's a job, school, person, or something else - and something completely derails us? Our car breaks down or the windshield breaks. In those moments, we might find ourselves frustrated with God, angry that He might allow something to keep us from what we view as our dreams. But what if what God has in store for us is greater than our dreams? Thank goodness that God's plans for my life have been so much better than what I had planned for myself. For instance, I had my heart set on a certain medical school. And when I did not get into that school, I was absolutely crushed. However, that smashed dream led me to something so much greater. My medical school has provided me with so many amazing (life-long hopefully) friends. I've been able to give back to the community in ways that I know I would not have been able to at my "dream" school. I've been able to mentor elementary children with their science projects. I have been able to organize road clean-ups and help secure volunteers for community days. The entire experience down in rural Alabama has been life-changing. I'm so blessed that God had something better in mind for my medical school career.

So, keep moving forward. Keep trusting God. He has so many bigger plans in store for our lives. I know I am trusting Him in many aspects of my life. And I dare you to do the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fruit Fly Debacle

Be Still