Sunsets and One Positive Thing Challenge

One of my favorite times of the day is sunset and dusk. I love just sitting wherever I am and just taking in the colors and watching the light fade. I think about how different weather patterns across the world contribute to the view that I am able to watch, and it amazes me. In the future, I would absolutely love to learn more behind the chemistry that contributes to sunsets. 

So why in the world am I talking about sunsets? Well, they are a reminder in my mind that the day is ending. Today at my summer work was a bit tough for me. I made one simple mistake in a program that caused future mistakes that caused me so much confusion and headache. I spent about thirty minutes to an hour trying to find out what was wrong. Once I found that mistake, I felt so frustrated with myself. On top of that, I have a cold currently. Every five minutes it seemed like I had to get up from my desk to go to the bathroom to blow my nose. It was frustrating to say the lease. When I finally got home, I was able to see the sunset, and it reminded me that the day was over. Everything was okay. 

I had a friend text me today that she had the worst day. While I have no idea why she felt that way, I reminded her that today was over and that tomorrow is a new day. A new day. A clean slate. Wow, doesn't that sound amazing? For me, a sunset is a beautiful reminder to rest and prepare for tomorrow. 

One of the current common threads on #medtwitter (and yes I just mentioned a hashtag on Twitter) is to think of one positive thing from the day. The new interns (first-year residents for those who are non-medical) have either started or start this week and are feeling the pressures of being a physician. Their days might feel so overwhelming, but there is at least one thing that every person can think of that was positive from their day. 

I want to embrace this challenge to write down something good from one day. I believe that it can capture the journey of medical school and my summer research job. HOWEVER, I don't believe that this is just a challenge for doctors, medical students, health professionals, etc. Everyone can join in. I challenge you, whoever you might be, to start writing down something positive from each day. Start looking for the good because it is around you. 

So, my lovely people, enjoy the sunsets and remember that tomorrow is always a new day. Share a smile. Do something good. Volunteer with a local non-profit. The possibilities are endless. 

XOXO,
Jess

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fruit Fly Debacle

Be Still

Broken Windshields