Be Still

One of the things that the Lord has really been working on with me is just to be still and just spend time with Him either in prayer or His word. To be honest, I am TERRIBLE at it, which is probably why He keeps teaching me why I need His stillness and rest.

Medical school is challenging on its own. You have some days of 8-5 classes along with all of the studying and assignments that you have to complete. Then add in the clubs and the organizations that you are a part of for fun and support. Next, add the volunteer opportunities that you want to complete and help out in the community. But what about social time with friends and family? If you can add it in there, great. And what about sleep? Sleep is for the weak. JK, sleep should be a priority, meaning that something else is going to be pushed until the next day. Basically, life in medical school is insane, absolutely insane.

I have a bad habit of going at about 150 mph all day, every day. From the moment my alarm goes off in the morning to the glorious hour that I decide to head to bed, I have a to-do list that is probably as long as my arm of things that I would love to accomplish.

There have been two times in the past three weeks or so that I have been running certain errands and catch myself trying to solve all of the problems associated with my clubs, volunteering, and school assignments in the ten minutes or less that it takes me to get to the store. The first time, I only could say "wow, what in the world am I doing?" I was seriously drowning in everything that was going on that week. And God just reminds me of how lucky I am to be able to participate in these situations at all.

Today was the second time that I just caught myself just being buried underneath all of the deadlines and requirements. It has been a week for sure. Yesterday I was going from 6 AM to 8 PM. It was an incredibly long day physically and emotionally. Today one of my first-year friends came up to me and just said: "you look exhausted." Honestly, I am. And I admitted that to him. His simple comment reminded me to not take this crazy lifestyle too seriously.

And then, it happened again. I had just run errands all over Dothan looking for particular spices so that I can boil some peanuts tomorrow morning. (The peanuts are for my dad's birthday present, so there is a reason why I am using valuable time going to different grocery stores.) After finally getting back to my apartment, I realized that the green peanuts that I had bought for the occasion were bad. Oh y'all, I laughed like a crazy person. I'm human. I make the dumbest mistakes sometimes like not putting the peanuts in the fridge so they don't go bad. So I went back to the store, and here I am.

Don't take life too seriously. Don't get bogged down by all of the deadlines and obligations that you forget to enjoy it. Take some time to laugh at your simple mistakes and give yourself some grace. You are human, and you are doing the best that you can.

I'm thankful that God reminds me to just breathe and be still sometimes. Heaven knows how much I need it. I hope you all can find some peace in the madness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken Windshields

The Fruit Fly Debacle