Dear Darling - A Letter to 16 Year-Old Me


Dear lovely girl of just sixteen
May you always chase all your dreams. 
Your plans and that timeline didn’t work out, 
But those are not the things to fret about. 

The roses came with thorns
And the sky turned to storms. 
But still you will prevail 
And oceans, you will sail. 

I wish that I could tell to you
That adult you wouldn’t be blue
That you would find true love by twenty-two
But oh, baby girl, I won’t lie to you. 

The bad heartbreaks still come.
The mistakes are still dumb,
But may you have your hope. 
And never dull your scope. 

Dear lovely girl of just sixteen,
May you always chase all your dreams.
Be your own hero in your life story
And fight for all that your heart deems worthy. 



It has been a while since I've written any poetry. I had an old friend inspire me when she mentioned how she wanted to write a song to her former self. The more I thought about the subject, the more the words flowed. I apologize for the roughness, but I felt like I should share.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken Windshields

The Fruit Fly Debacle

Be Still