If I Could Give Advice to First-Year Me...

It is extremely hard to believe this time a year ago I was a first-year medical student. It seems more like a lifetime ago. I had no idea what was going on or what to expect. Now, as a second-year medical student, I'm on the other side.

I have the privilege of being a teaching assistant at my school to help a group of first-year students with their clinical skills. Seeing their anxieties and fears about the upcoming semester, it has made me think back to my first few months of medical school. If I could go back and give myself any advice, I would tell myself ten simple things. Trust me, I have already or will share these tips with all of my kiddos. I love them already and am cheering for their success, but I digress.

1. IT WILL BE OKAY. Medical school seems absolutely overwhelming. The instructors always talk about how the amount of material is like drinking from a fire hose. When you couple that with trying to manage friends and family back home, possible pets, and who knows what else, it gets CRAZY. BUT EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY.

2. It may not get easier, but you get stronger (or get used to the difficulty). This goes along with #1.

3. Make as many friends as you can. These people, your classmates, will be your support group throughout this crazy journey.

4. Spend time with those friends outside of school. Go on adventures. Keep smiling and laughing.

5. Don't lose yourself. Medical school will always be medical school. Keep the things that make you unique and who you are.

6. Don't let medical steal your joy. Always remember that you are so blessed to be here. So many people did not get into medical school this time.

7. Don't be too arrogant to ask for help. Medical school is tough. Some people are really good at certain topics, while others are good at other topics. Help each other out. Don't harm yourself because you are too proud to ask for help.

7. Give back to the community. It changes you for the better.

8. Don't sell yourself short. Don't be terrified to practice taking vitals. The more practice you get, the better you will be.

9. Take breaks. Take breaks for yourself. I cannot stress that enough. You might feel like you don't have any time away from studying, but you do. Do yourself a favor, and go for a walk, a hike, or any kind of adventure.

10. Again, IT IS GOING TO BE ALRIGHT.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fruit Fly Debacle

Be Still

Broken Windshields