Newest Addition

Yesterday was my first exam of the semester, and it was intense. I was mentally exhausted after the exam and just wanted to stay at home and clean my apartment (something I had planned to do on Wednesday afternoon or Thursday).

Oh man, do my friends know my ways. A couple of my friends and I had grabbed lunch after our exam. On the way back to school, they mentioned possibly going to the local brewery or something that night and invited me along. I politely declined, feeling like I would prefer a nice, introverted night. I got a text about 5ish last night saying that all of my friends were at an apartment and to come over there. We were all going out to eat even me. Ah, my friends just know me and know to not give me options that I can refuse haha. (Or I will.)

So, the five of us crammed into a car and headed to Buffalo Wild Wings. Now, normally I hate that place almost as much as I dislike O'Charley's. I always have to search for something that sounds appetizing at both places, and I am just not a fan. I got some mozzarella sticks and a quesadilla while all four of my friends got some type of chicken wings.

I wish I could have recorded us just hanging out and chatting. We were stress-free and happy. I tried to soak up every second because I know that after this year we will all go our separate ways.

Somehow someone suggested that we go to HomeGoods next. And when our guy friend, M (I won't give names for my friends' privacy) said that he had never been, we all decided that we had to go. I have never had so much fun in a home store. We went through every aisle, laughing and deciding what to get.

I'm pretty sure that it started out as a joke, but M mentioned that he wanted a beta fish. I totally agreed as I had been thinking about getting one for a while. He asked where the nearest PetCo was, and R, our wonderful driver, brought us to the nearest PetSmart.

Oh man, it was a scene. I had my heart set on a blue beta fish as blue is my favorite color. There wasn't any fish remotely blue. The one that had a little blue on his tail was sideways at the top of his little container. M found him first and picked the container up to show me. That poor fish. M kept trying to get him to swim straight, but the poor guy had seen better days. Finally, M found one that he "vibed with" and I found a little red beta fish who fanned his tail out beautifully when I picked him out. I took it as a sign.

I wish I could say that our shenanigans stopped there. Nope. Next, M and I were on our hands and knees on the floor of one of the aisles in PetSmart looking for decorations for our fish. There would have probably been photographic evidence, but our friends were off in the cat adoption area. R almost took one home with her. Honestly, it is probably for the best that I didn't know that they were looking at a cat or I might have taken a cat home with me instead of a fish. Finally, after about fifteen minutes, both on the floor looking at decorations, and running all around the aisle trying to find all of the necessities, M and I bought our fish.

M decked his tank out with Auburn orange and blue rocks and a miniature field goal post. (He is a rabid Auburn fan y'all.) His fish is named Ardy after one of the players.

I wanted to name my little guy Faulkner, but my friends vetoed the idea based on a similar word. So, I decided on Florence. Florence Lateus is his entire name. Honestly, I don't know why I chose Florence. But I did choose Lateus for many reasons. Lateus is Latin for delighted, joyful, happy, or blessed. Last night, that crazy night, when I brought Florence home, I was incredibly happy and blessed by my friends. Florence Lateus will always be a reminder to me of that night, one of the best nights of my medical school career so far.

So, treasure your friends. Make memories. Go to mundane places and just enjoy time with each other. You never know when a night might be the best one ever.


But y'all, meet Florence Lateus. His big brother Winry is still TICKED. And I still can't believe I bought a fish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fruit Fly Debacle

Be Still

Broken Windshields