Vanilla Milkshakes

Hello all,

It's been a while since my last post, and I hope everyone has had a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, or happy holidays if you celebrate something else.

This past year was an emotional rollercoaster for me in so many ways. I lost a long-time mentor and friend in January due to cancer and had to walk away from various relationships, both romantic and platonic. And as you can see from my last two posts, I really struggled with those evolving relationships.

2019 really taught me about my relationships and how they affect me. We always hear phrases about our inner circle of people or friends, but we just assume that we have the best people around us at all times. We don't really double-check ourselves. Or if we do, it is after a long, rocky relationship that takes a mental toll on ourselves.

I'm too trusting. I will readily admit that. I will open up to almost everyone, even if those people have plans to knife me in the back with that information. That is something that I am working on. I am also working on being more mindful of those who I keep in my inner circle. I have a wonderful best friend from high school who always points me back to Jesus, and I am so thankful for her. I have two friends in Rhode Island who I can always trust to pick me up when I need it the most. My best friend from college is the Edna to my Mrs. Incredible. She is my rock, and I am so blessed to have her. These people have been my rocks in my circle for years, and I am beyond grateful for them.

Be careful with your circle. These are the people who mold you and cheer you on in life's hardest battles. They should be the ones who cheer for you no matter what and give you good, honest feedback when you need it. If they aren't happy about your success or are badmouthing you behind your back, you might want to reconsider their role in your life. I know that sounds like common sense, but some of us (myself included) need to hear that.

You see all of these inspirational posts about just cutting toxicity out of your life, and it seems incredibly simple. But let me tell you, it's not. You still care about those people even if they messed with your head. Someone told me that I would never find someone that treated me as well as they did. Sadly, I believed that. However, I found two wonderful guy friends that showed me how they could treat me so much better than the person who said that.

I remember sitting in the car with them on the way to grab some food and one asked me how my day was. I was floored. He was absolutely serious. When I didn't answer right away, he was like I really want to know about your day. How are you? I know that the name of my blog is "It's the Little Things," but it really is the little things that show someone really cares. It's incredible how someone genuinely caring about how your day is can impact you. It shows they care. He still does that by the way. It still startles me a bit but in an absolutely great way.

So find your people. Find your circle that cheers for you no matter what. Find the people that do the little things. Find the ones that will bring you vanilla milkshakes on a hard day of school. Find the ones that care.

I wish you all the best. Merry belated Christmas and Happy New Year if I do not write before then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken Windshields

The Fruit Fly Debacle

Be Still